Globalisation of education and economy has led the University Grants Commission (UGC) to reorient and reshape its policies and programmes to make the current Indian Higher Education System more relevant and career-oriented with focus on quality and excellence. It is envisaged that professionally qualified graduates with a sound knowledge of their core disciplines and expertise in a concerned skill will have more openings in service, industry and self employment sectors. Demand and graduates are visible in the applied fields of almost all basic /core disciplines and faculties in the current changing global scenario and is likely to increase in the future. To meet this challenge, during the XII Plan, UGC would like to encourage incorporation of skill oriented and value added, add on courses in colleges/Universities to be opted by students as a parallel sub discipline while pursuing their degree level education
The objective of the scheme is to introduce career and market oriented, skill enhancing add on courses that have utility for job, self-employment and empowerment of the students. At the end of three years, the students will be equipped with a Certificate/Diploma/Advanced diploma in an add – on orientation course along with a conventional degree in Science/Arts/Commerce.
The courses offered should be of inter-disciplinary nature. There should be no watertight compartments and students should have the freedom to diversify into various fields not necessarily related with their core discipline. For instance, a student pursuing a bachelor’s degree in a Science subject could side by side pursue a course in Event Management. Similarly a student with Arts background may have the option to pursue a course in Science Journalism. The Institutions should offer a wide range of career-oriented subjects in various related areas. Following are the some indicative courses (stream wise):
Science Stream :
- Information and Computer technology
- Hosptal Waste Dispsal Mangement
Career Oriented Courses in Social Sciences And Humanities Streams
the course could be of inter-disciplinary nature viz.
- Applied Sociology
- Fashion Designing
- Translation Proficiency
- Television and Video Production
Career Oriented Courses in Commerce Stream:
- e-Commerce World Trade
- Foreign Exchange Trade
Career Oriented Courses History
- The Career Oriented Scheme start in the year 1994-95.
- Scheme meant for the students studying in colleges and universities.
- The scheme is primarily for under graduate students.
- The prime purpose of the scheme is to provide knowledge skills and aptitude for occupational
- employment in wage sector.
- The scheme helps in self-employment/self-entrepreneurship.
- There is a provision to provide financial assistance of Rs.7.00 lacs per course as one time ‘Seed
- Money’ for five years in the Humanities and Commerce streams and one time ‘Seed Money’ of Rs. 10.00 lacs per course for five years in the Science stream.
- During the By University Grants Commission, Govt. of India XI Plan 2172 colleges and 30 universities were provided financial assistance under the scheme.
- 3,15,821 students were admission under the scheme and 50,109 students got the placement for various jobs.
- During the year 2014-15 around 25 crores spent till date under this scheme.